It's a bit of a buzzword isn't it? Self-Care.
I remember hearing it for the first time from the big sister, she was researching and creating more self-care practices for herself after a huge health scare and for the teachers in her school.
Even though I'd been an athlete for so long, self-care had never really played a huge part in the lead up and recovery from training or any major event, or so I thought, if I think back now, I probably was doing my fair share of it, but it all related back to swimming, so it wasn't holistic self-care.
During the 13 years, I was on the Australian team, I had a cold, my nose was always runny, I had dry skin and aches all over from pushing my body to the limit. But now, I've learnt to be a LOT more balanced in my 'pushing' and have daily self-care practices in place so that I can at the very least get up the next day.
Here are my top 5 Self-Care tips:
- Learn to say 'no'. Yep, I'm starting off with a big f..ing NO. You know why? You are worth more than doing the things you hate. You are worth more than hanging out with people that are toxic and you are worth more than watching dumb shows like, a current affair or 60 minutes, seriously people, do you ever feel good after watching shows like that?
- Don't count your calories. Yep, I said it. Do.not.weigh.your.food.you.are.not.a.race.horse. our bodies change all the time. Don't hold yourself to something that was yesterday or could be in your the future. Enjoy you now. Stop trying to be something else or have a different number on the scales, you're doing amazing. I used to be 53 kgs and I was never happy, I was sick all the time and my mindset was terrible. Now, I know I'm carrying some weight, but my insides, mind, and body are getting healthier every day, and the most important thing is; I love who I am, in the now, all of it. No amount of food weighing will make up for any lack of self acceptance.
- You don't have to have 10,000 Instagram followers to be successful in business. Stop trying to compete with robots. Create connections. Create content. Create a life that you don't need a holiday from.
- Self-care looks different to everyone. There is no right or wrong way to self-care. I was once told that resting my body and watching a movie wasn't the 'right' way to do self-care. I'm sorry, who said it wasn't? The self-care police? P.S If you're still hanging with the self-care police, please refer to point 1).
- Take time out from all the noise at least once a day. Meditation comes in different forms, so you do, you. Whatever feels best for you to switch off and breathe, is the best way for you to meditate. This may evolve over time, but if it doesn't then that's also ok. Some days, I meditate to silence, some days, I draw, some nights, I light candles and pump ancient drumming music and dance, some days I swim, some days, I chant. Whatever makes you feel good is whats best.
Now, go and do what makes you feel good. x